Monday, November 3, 2008

Spiritual Growth

It's been a while since my last post, hard to beleive it was summer and now it's almost winter. Recently I was golfing with friend of mine and in the midst of our conversation we stumbled upon the question of "what are my indicators of spiritual growth?". I thought this should be an easy question for a pastor to answer - it wasn't. a week later I'm still trying to come up with MY inidicators - something more than the rituals (yes important but are they indicators - reading the Bible, Praying...) How do I measure my Spiritual Growth?

Allow me to throw out some ideas: I monitor my family growth by increased trust, desire to be with, since of fulfillment at serving their needs AND wants. WOW, these could be the same for my relationship with Christ.

Am I trusting Him more? Is He trusting me more?
Do I desire to spend more time with Him? Do I want to pray (not feel I have to out of guilt), Do I want to read the Bible? Do I want to just spend time thinking about Him? I spend time just thinking about my kids and wife...

I get great satisfaction meeting the needs and wants of Ceri, Jimmy and Jonathan. Last week we took Jimmy and Jonathan to grandma's they were so excited they could hardly stand it - I was so thrilled because they were thrilled - I well up inside just thinking about it (I'm also loving the time with my wife and the kids at grandma's). How much joy do I generate PLEASING Christ - are my actions out of obligation, responsibility or for the sake of bringing pleasure to Him? I know Christ wants this. Why is it so hard to make this a regular measurement of my life's success?

2 comments:

John David Hall said...

Hey Jim! Wow really challenging stuff here. The, "Is He trusting me more?" question really got me thinking. Thanks for giving me something to chew on. As always, you challenge the norms.

-John Hall

Jim Hill said...

That's got me thinking too. We usually think about "getting". Twisting that to are we getting more trust from Him can be a "brain twister". Does my life create more passion and excitement for God - Is he thrilled when I wake up in the morning and begin my day?