Thursday, November 13, 2008

Learning Styles

I'm a huge proponent of small groups. I believe that great relationships and discipleship can occur within them. Having said this I've recently been wondering how learning styles interact with the effectiveness of small groups? Based on my personal history of learning I have two primary means of learning. The first is from peers and networking - this can usually be construed as brainstorming and filtering through options, topics or opinions to determine which I most believe or accept.

The second means is from an authority. When I quickly and confidently want to learn something I go to an authority. This authority may be in the form of a professional, an author or someone I perceive as having extensive knowledge on the topic.

If how I learn is anywhere close to others I think I may have "stumbled" on a weakness of our small groups. People desiring a greater knowledge of Christ that learn better from an "authority" feel that their small group only meets the peer approach thus is inadequate to accomplish a level of spiritual growth desired. This path may lead to the comments frequently heard within the church as "I'm not being fed".

If this has any accuracy how do we resolve this as a church?

No comments: