Friday, November 21, 2008

The Power of Friends

I made a small observation this morning as I was reading Acts. In Acts 28:15 it says "The brothers there had heard that we were coming, and they traveled as far as the forum of Appius and the Three Taverns to meet us. At the sight of these men Paul thanked God and was encouraged".

After all the trials and tough times Paul has gone through, beatings, jailed, ship wrecked it can almost be over looked that he still desired human companionship - relationship. He "thanked God AND was encouraged" that friends had traveled to see him.

I draw from this the importance of both being willing to invest in the friends that I have and recognize the friends that invest in me. To accomplish what God has set before us we must make the effort. From short communications via twitter, email, facebook to getting in the car or on an airplane and going. I really believe that when we invest we are also blessed.

Give people a reason to thank God for you.

2 comments:

Billy said...

Thanks for the encouragement Jim. Good Thoughts! I want friends... So I should be friendly! Seems simple enough...

=\

Anonymous said...

Thanks for pointing out an "insignificant" little passage with great significance. I am greatly encouraged by friends...interesting to know Paul was too.