Monday, December 1, 2008

Mumbai Tragedy

As I listen to reports coming out of Mumbai India I’m broken hearted and relieved at the same time. I hear stories of friends sitting together for dinner and suddenly half or more of the group are dead or injured, of a father and husband saving people but not able to save his own wife and two daughters as they are lost in fires set by terrorists. The carnage is astounding, the pain unimaginable, it breaks my heart.

Yet, I’m relieved. This happened in “another world”, in a place far far from my safe little corner of the of Southern California. Do I have the luck of my birth to thank, is it the diligence of my government that prevents such attacks in my neighborhood, is it God who protects myself and my family? I thank God that I don’t have to endure the circumstances impressed on the residence’ of Mumbai. I thank God that my world seems safe and secure. And I pray for those in Mumbai and Pakistan and all these other places. Yet my prayers seem so futile.

I’m not one prone to discouragement or depression, in fact as I dwell on this horrific act and experience the emotions accompanying the tragic news I can’t help but think of the many Christians that are in the same boat I’m in. Living safe, concerned about the economy, not a funeral, concerned about job security not being taken as a hostage and for some the biggest challenge is how we are going to meet the requests of family and friends this Christmas season. Allow me to encourage you to take a few minutes each day over the next twenty five and think about the news from places in the world that you and I will probably never visit. After thinking of these stories say a prayer for the people in the middle of the situations, NOT just a prayer thanking God that you aren’t there but one asking Him to bring comfort to the grieving, to embrace the hurting and become the father to the recently made fatherless. In the midst of these horrific situations we have the power through Jesus Christ to release His presence, to make a difference. Can you do that? I’m going to try.

No comments: