Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Constant Student of Jesus

I am slowly reading through The Great Omission by Dallas Willard. I say slowly because as my coworker Jan Lynn describes this book "it will kick your butt," simply meaning it has some deep and life challenging statements. The premise is that we are to become Disciples not "just" Christians. This mornings reading ended on page 17 (I did say slowly :-)).

"But only constant students of Jesus will be given adequate power to fulfill their calling to be God's person for their time and their place in this world. They are the only ones who develop the character which makes it safe to have such power."

WOW - I really want to fulfill my calling, I want to accomplish all that God has put in my heart to accomplish. As I so often struggle with accomplishing enough, I interpret this as I have to: work harder, study more, have a greater influence, simply put I feel I have to "DO MORE". I don't believe that is what Mr. Willard is stating nor do I believe it's what Christ wants. When we become students of Christ our character should change, our thought processes change, the fruit of the spirit (the spirit of Jesus, the Holy Spirit) flows through us. With that comes His power to accomplish more than we ever could of our own strength. It is a contradiction, almost an oxymoron that by "Doing less" and building a stronger relationship with Christ we have the potential to accomplish more.

The statement regarding our developing of character is one of the "butt kicking" statements. Yes I want His power, yes I want His character but it's no wonder I feel I have less of both as a result of my poor priorities. It really is about pursuing Christ, my relationship with Him, my trust in Him, my confidence that He will use me to the fullest extent of my willingness to submit to Him. Another painful word, SUBMIT, yet that is a resounding theme in our relationship with Christ. "The last shall be first", "surrender it all", "walk away from what you have known to follow me". We must submit ourselves to His will, to His desires. This will require an extra effort of humility and determination of our wills.

I conclude these ramblings with the thought for the new year. I must be a greater student of Christ, for several reasons. To be a better husband and father, to be a better friend and pastor, and to accomplish to the fullest extent the calling Christ has given to me. I want His power more than my own position...

2 comments:

Scott Corgan said...

You never cease to amaze me with your humbling pursuit of Jesus! Trully Inspiring!

Kingdombuilder said...

It is refreshing to see my family here blogging as well. Seeing that we are all Kingdom people I'm am so excited to run into someone that has a relationship with The Lord. I have a website ffor Christian men as well that contains over 200 music videos, over 200 games, chat, Christian Comedians, and so on. it is a community that I started and opened to the public a couple weeks ago. It was setup to unite Christian men, but unsaved males have been drawn in by the games. So we are in position to develop relattionship with them and walk with them. http://www.KingdombuildersHQ.com/phpBB3/portal.php

or

http://www.KingdombuildersHQ.com

Stop by if you get a chance. God bless...
><))>One Love<((><